World Osteoporosis Day
Every year on 20th October, World Osteoporosis Day takes place. Organised by International Osteoporosis Foundation, it is a day dedicated to raising awareness of all things Osteoporosis and Metabolic Bone Disease.
You can get involved in this years campaign ‘Love your bones- protect your future’ by wearing white and using the hashtag #LoveYourBones.
What is Osteoporosis?
- A condition that weakens bones, making them fragile and more likely to break
- It develops slowly over several years
- It’s often only diagnosed when a minor fall or sudden impact causes a bone fracture
- Women are more at risk, especially if they have early menopause
The most common injuries for people with Osteoporosis are:
- Wrist fracture
- Hip fracture
- Spinal bone fractures
In some cases, a cough or sneeze can cause a rib fracture or partial collapse of one of the bones of the spine.
Over 3 million people in the UK are affected by Osteoporosis. It is not usually painful, unless there is a fracture, but spinal fractures can also cause chronic pain.
Factors increasing risk of Osteoporosis
- Heavy drinking and smoking
- A low Body Mass Index (BMI)
- Long term use of certain medications
- A family history of the condition
- Other medical conditions such as hormone-related, malabsorption problems or inflammatory conditions for example Fibromyalgia
You can take early action against Osteoporosis through regular exercise, a bone-healthy diet, avoiding negative lifestyle habits like smoking and consulting your doctor about any risks.
Living with Osteoporosis
As the condition is closely linked with other medical conditions, pain management may play a big role in day-to-day living.
Pain and sleep don’t tend to go very well together. The more pain you’re in, the harder it is to get to sleep and the less you sleep the more pain you get- not an ideal situation!
At N:rem, we want to help people to get their best night’s sleep possible, as we believe that’s the cornerstone of good health. So, we developed the N:rem Sleep System. A completely customisable mattress system that you can adjust to your exact needs, giving you support where it’s needed most and softer comfort for pain points. Whilst we can’t cure Osteoporosis or other painful conditions, we can help sufferers to get a better night’s sleep to set them up for the day ahead. To find out more about the N:rem click here.